Saturday 6 October 2012


Completed number 30: Create a number of brain or neuron models using art and crafts (and food)

What I have made:

1.   Painted a neuron covered plate

2.   Made a beaded neuron

3.   Created a pipe cleaner neuron

4.   Made a chocolate brain

5.   Fondant brain

 1. Painted a plate

The Friday friends spent an evening at Arty Giraffe (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arty-Giraffe/108365842520133?ref=ts#!/pages/Arty-Giraffe/108365842520133) painting a plate.
Here we are enjoying our painting time.



 
 
We took nibbles and wine but didn't have time to eat!! Too busy being creative.
  
Our creations before they are fired in the kiln (pencil burns away)


 
 
Here is a close up of my plate before being fired.


 
Fired plate
 
 

 Everyone signed the back of my plate - see it says Neurons!!

It is my artistic interpretation of neurons (brain cells) from the dentate gyrus in the brain. My plate was inspired by the Brainbow – a new technique used by Harvard Scientists to look at neurons in the brain.

Here is the inspiration photo:

 


However the girls think my plate looks more like a plate of sperm (how rude!!). In that case I am going to start a rumour that if you eat from the plate you /or your partner will fall pregnant!!! (ha ha) If it looks like sperm then it can still be linked to being forty – life begins at forty and sperm start life (ha ha ha). Of course when held upside down it looks like tears and could also be linked to being forty and crying because of getting old!!!! (hahaha)

Either way it was a great evening painting and I love my plate.


 

2.  A beaded neuron – here is a photo and link to show how to make one.



3. A pipe cleaner neuron – made during an OU Science open day earlier this year


http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/chmodel.html
 
Neuron diagram - my beaded and pipe cleaner neuron look like this!! Hurray



4. A chocolate brain – made using my brain ice cube tray. Brain freeze anyone??

 
5. Fondant brain – made by Sarah for my 40th Birthday cake.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you didn't pass it off as your own fondant brain ;-)
    They all look good I'm now looking forward to my creative xmas present!!!
    Sos

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment on my blog? This is where you can. No rude words please!!